Acts of Civil Disobedience

My twin boys Aubrey and Erik regularly commit Acts of Civil Disobedience.

No, they are not civil rights crusaders, nor are they proponents of Mohandas Ghandi. They have no idea who he is.

Image courtesy of www.wikipedia.org

Neither Martin Luther King nor Henry David Thoreau inspire my boys to protest in their own way, the established laws of the land (or of the household, as it were).

Yes, they have come to this method of non-violent resistance by purely organic and natural means. It is as if the heavens above have bestowed upon them the god-given right to protest – by any means necessary.

The tenets of non-violent resistance are there, in part, along with a full dose of attitude. My boys rock their resistance with a comfortable ease. They know that they can get the best of mommy or daddy with a simple stiffening of the muscles.

To wit: committing Acts of Civil Disobedience entails lying oneself ramrod straight, on the ground, rigid as a tree. There is a beauty to the smooth transition to these Acts, as they often occur in a seemingly effortless and unexpected fashion. Let me explain.

You could be crossing the road, holding hands with two toddler boys, with another child in tow. All of a sudden, you’re in the middle of the road with a truck or otherwise large vehicle barreling towards you at a rapid pace.

Suddenly, one, or perhaps two boys decide to commit Acts of Civil Disobedience – yes – right there in the middle of the road!

The beauty of this action is the fact that there is no warning at all. These Acts just occur naturally…just as the sun rises in the morning, or the moon appears at night.

You are forced to act quickly, whatever that may mean. In my case, it entails scooping up two 27 lb boys in both arms and shooing along a seven-year-old to the safety of the other side of the road.

By the way, my twins’ cuteness allows them to get away with these Acts most times. Here are pictures of Erik and Aubrey respectively, taken today:

My questions this week have to do with Acts of Civil Disobedience.

Do your children commit Acts of Civil Disobedience?

What strategies do you use to deal with your kids when the stiffen out like a board or buckle their knees in the most inopportune moments?

Looking forward to your feedback!

(Visited 194,297 times,

You might also like

Your email address will not be published.

12 Comments

1. Melanie says

You have THE most adorable kids…

2. Samantha says

@Melanie thanks, Melanie! I have to agree with you…but of course I'm biased 😉

3. zoey says

With faces like that you can get away with everything, right?

4. Samantha says

@zoey
    Hmmm…yes…in a manner of speaking. I do get angry but then see their faces and melt…and/or feel like laughing in the midst of the chaos!

5. Holly Ann says

Oh, of course my kids do that! It's a trademark toddler move. I think I usually end up doing exactly as you described here!

By the way, I'd love it if you came over to enter my current giveaway for a baby gift set from Eco Ellie's! Thanks!

6. Samantha says

@Holly Ann
    Funny how they all seem to know how stiffen out their bodies like boards, or buckle their knees at just the right times!
    I'm checking out your blog now:)

7. Cathy says

These are the moments that require you to be strong both physically and mentally. I do just like you, scoop em up. And my youngest is 7 and 60 lbs. I can't do that with the 15yo – I just threaten to take his phone. But he's not so bad, at least in public.

8. Samantha says

@Cathy Wow – if you can scoop up a 60-pounder, I'm impressed! threatening to take aay the phone, I'm not surprised that that works for the teenager 🙂

9. Jane Cabrera says

Thank you for a great post. Seeing your twins’ beautiful faces and reminding me of those fun and frazzling toddler days, really got my morning started with a huge smile.

My kids are teenagers now. One is away at college. Scoop and run strategy is the only thing I ever was able to do at that age. My son, who was the younger of the two pulled those stunts way more than my daughter ever did. When I laughed it off, she would always complain that I let him get away with stuff. I used to tell her “call me when you have a 3 year old boy, and tell me about it.”.

1. Samantha says

Thank-you so much for the kind words, Jane. They are much appreciated 🙂

I love the “scoop and run” analogy, and yes – I use this strategy often! It’s amazing how strong and how quick a mom can be when they have to pick up one child while running after another!

Your daughter will surely understand about the “getting away with stuff” when she has kids of her own. The chickens always come home to roost.

Cheers.