Aint No Cure For The Suppertime Blues

by Samantha on May 9, 2011

**To the spirit of Eddie Cochran and the existing members of The Who, I apologize in advance**
                 Well I’m gonna raise a fuss, I’m gonna raise a holler
About working every day just to waste my last dollar
On all kinds of foods that I thought the kids would eat
No such luck they say as they yell and stomp their feet
Sometimes I wonder what I’m gonna do
Cuz there aint no cure for the suppertime blues
Image courtesy of namelessintaipei.wordpress.com
I cook healthy meals so my kids will grow up healthy
I spend lots on food even though I’m far from wealthy
“Mommy I don’t like this” when I serve up the grub
They continue to complain as I put them in the tub
Sometimes I wonder what I’m gonna do
Cuz there aint no cure for the suppertime blues
Image courtesy of www.postcity.com
I’m gonna take two Advil gonna try to get some rest now
Cuz the whining and the screaming have really put me to the test now
Toddlers throwing pasta, three kids melting down
What I wouldn’t give to say “who cares?” and go out on the town
Sometimes I wonder what I’m gonna do
Cuz there aint no cure for the suppertime blues
Image courtesy of www.momplanningparties.blogspot.com

If you have a cure for the “Suppertime Blues,” please let me know.

katlupe May 9, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I think the kids need to get outside and do things. Keep them busy so they are happy to eat what you fix, and are ready to get in that bath tub and go to bed. Fresh air and sunshine is the known cure for the “summertime blues.”

Samantha May 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm

@katlupe Thanks for your comment – I'll try anything at this point, it's getting crazy come supper time!

Melanie May 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hilarious!

Terry May 11, 2011 at 1:45 am

LOL… reminds me of when My Daughter was young. All she did was complain at meals.

One day, I said while she was complaining…. Do you want a piece of candy? She said Yeah in a real excited voice. I said….EAT YOUR SUPPER FIRST!! Funny enough, she ate.

I am a new follower and would love a follow back.

Samantha May 11, 2011 at 2:58 am

@Terry
Hi TerrY
That's funny and not surprising. “By any means necessary,” I say, when it comes to parenting. Bribery, negotiation and threats? I follow this strategy often! I actually wrote about it too! Read on…

Brenna @ Almost All The Truth May 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Very cute, although I know how frustrating it can actually be in the moment! We have started serving our meals at the table, with each child being able to serve his/her own food. Depending on age and food we help, but they get to say how little or how much they eat. That has cut down quite a bit of the blues around here.

They know that they have to at least try everything (without complaining) to get a treat afterwards, although we don't always have treats. They also know if they are still hungry they are welcome to seconds of anything on the table.

Samantha May 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm

@Brenna @ Almost All The Truth Thanks Brenna. Perhaps trying smaller portions as you mentioned is a trick that will work. As well a having to try everything on the plate. That works for my daughter but the little guys don't get it yet – they just throw what they don't like!