Top 5 Tips to Help You Avoid Ironing

I’ve heard that wrinkles add character. Oh – they weren’t talking about clothes??

Because of the laundry hell that I live in on a full-time basis, wrinkles are my reality. As a result, I wear my wrinkles proudly, and with honor.

As far as I’m concerned, irons are a thing of the past, a medieval instrument of torture for moms and dads alike. More so if the former works full-time outside the home and is tasked with not only presenting a respectable and wrinkle-free appearance, but that of their children as well.

woman ironing
Image courtesy of http://curtainsareopen.blogspot.com

Now, I realize that there are people who actually love ironing – I know a few of these folks and they accordingly live a wrinkle-free existence! It should go to follow then, that they are likely horrified by the perpetually non-pressed look that I sport. Thankfully, they are kind enough to keep their thoughts to themselves, at least when I’m present. That said, it’s really not as bad as it sounds. Yes, the stiff, starched look that some demand of all of their attire does not happen in my world, but I’m also not walking around looking like I just tumbled out of bed a few moments previously.

So, the purpose of this post? To spread the love and hopefully iron out a few wrinkles (!) that plague the already overloaded mom. Cuz really, one less chore sounds pretty good right about now, doesn’t it?

5 Tips to Help You Avoid Ironing
  • Never buy clothes that are 100% cotton. Never.
  • Look for blends, e.g. cotton blended with some type of synthetic material (god forbid, it may be polyester!! It’s okay, embrace it!)
  • Wash clothes, dry them and immediately take the out of the dryer while they are still hot. Fold (I admit that I don’t always do this but in theory, it works).
  • Steam. Either from a steamer, or from the shower. A quick trick – hang up your clothes in the bathroom as close to the shower as possible without getting them wet. Have a really hot shower. Voila! Most of the wrinkles will have disappeared.
  • Wrinkle Releaser. Spray on and go.
Hopefully these tips will save you time and release you from the drudgery
chore of ironing, at least a little bit.

So my questions today relate to this often-despised task:

Do you like ironing? Why or why not?

Do you have any additional tips for avoiding this chore?

I look forward to hearing from you!

You might also like

Your email address will not be published.

36 Comments

1. vinobaby says

I REFUSE to iron. The few things I have mistakenly purchased that came out of the dryer a wrinkled mess tend to sit in a pile for 6 months so. Only when I desperately need to wear one will I break down and pull out the ironing board. The funny thing is, once I start ironing, it's really not that bad…

Cheers.
    VB

2. Samantha says

@vinobaby
    I hear ya! I can't stand ironing and will avoid it at any cost. Of course there are times when there's no way around it, like a formal occasion where you HAVE to look un-wrinkled (e.g. weddings and funerals). Thankfully those times are few and far between, at least for me!
    Thanks for commenting :)

3. Donna says

I loved this post!!!!! I am one of those who loves to iron and wear ironed clothes. Everything I own is 100% cotton! lol I am a new follower. I would love a follow over at my place when you have a moment. Donna

4. Donna says

You might have to scroll a bit but you'll enjoy the photos of my closet and the fact that it's my “happy” place. lol

5. Samantha says

@Donna
    @Donna
    Thanks, Donna! Goodness, you're one of those peeps that I inspire to be like – crisply pressed clothes and all! Of course I have a realistic view of my abilities and will likely remain in wrinkled clothing, in spite of myself!!

Heading on over right now to check out your blog!
    Cheers :)

6. ladydazy says

I really want to buy an upright steamer from Wal*Mart that way I can steam my dresses & husbands suits. Thanks for those tips, I've tried them all, lol!! :)

7. Samantha says

@ladydazy
    Yea, I would love the upright steamer as well – but I have no room to store it!! Yikes!

8. Grumpy Grateful Mom says

I iron only when absolutely needed! I so could have used your no 100% cotton rule years ago, but will adhere to it now. I have shirts in my closet I don't wear because of the excess ironing it would take!

I am also a big fan of wrinkle release, then I throw the clothes back in the dryer for just a minute–it does miracles.

9. Samantha says

@Grumpy Grateful MomFunny! I too have some really nice shirts that will take too long to iron, so guess what? I don't wear them! Silly but true.

I haven't tried adding the dryer along with the wrinkle releaser – will have to try that one too.

Thanks for commenting :)

10. PascaleA says

I used to iron everything… not any more, but still ironing a lot… I am not using a dryer, I hang out clothes.. yes I know!… well I live in Turkey… and almost all our clothes are 100 % cotton, just nicer to wear to me…
    While I lived in the States I didn't iron a thing ever.. the American washer is way better than the European type.. plus yes the dryer. when folding immediately , no ironing needed.. sure miss that… ah well..
    hm.. the wrinkle releaser sounds like something i would love to try.. oh but, hm. most probably can't get that here.

11. Jenner says

Hi! I'm your newest follower and I have to agree wholeheartedly. I do not even OWN an iron. I live by the hot-out-of-the-dryer-and -fold-them-fast method. If something is super wrinkly out of the drawer, it goes back into the dryer.

12. Samantha says

@PascaleA
    HI there! I can imagine that in Turkey one would have to have 100% cotton due to the heat! I guess I would recommend line-drying the clothes and double drying them in the dryer if you have to to remove the wrinkles.

13. Samantha says

@Jenner
    Hi Jenner!
    I love it – you're my kinda woman! 😉

Thanks for following!
    Sam

14. Terry says

I don't know anyone that likes ironing. Some might say they do…. I don't believe them.

These days, I hardly ever iron and if something does need ironed, I don't wear it.

15. Samantha says

@Terry
    Hi Terry, I'm at the same point – avoiding ironing at any cost!

16. Babymama says

Stopping by to follow from bloggymoms…

I hate ironing but it's a necessary evil sometimes. Sigh.

xo
    babymama
    avagracescloset.blogspot.com

17. Samantha says

@Babymama Yes – and I try to avoid “evil” lik the plague!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

18. Ericka says

Ironing is for people who don't know that a quick spray of water followed by a few minutes in the dryer works wonders. I tried to throw our ironing board away when we moved but my husband thinks we might use it one day. Maybe he will but not me!

19. Sara says

Ironing? Haven't done any of that since my twin bump got too big – and that was over 4 years ago! My iron and ironing board are in the garage!

20. Samantha says

@Ericka Hi Ericka – So TRUE!! The heat along with the spray of water does wonders, as does steaming clothes while in the shower. I agree with the idea of throwing out your ironing boards. As a matter of fact, I have two (ironic – no pun intended) that I never use…I may just give them the final boot once and for all!

21. Samantha says

@Sara
    Hi Sara – Love it!! An with twins, really – who has the time!! We're lucky to even get the laundry done!

22. Melanie says

I select clothes on the basis that they don't need ironing. A good general rule of thumb: if they look wrinkly in the store…they will be a nightmare to take care of at home.

23. Samantha says

@Melanie
    Good tip, Mel! I will keep this in mind next time I'm eyeing something especially wrinkly!!

24. Alison says

I love ironing! I don't do it very often because I don't have time but I don't mind it a bit. I took ironing in and got paid for it when I was a student. Now, if you talking putting laundry away…that's a different thing.

25. Samantha says

@Alison Goodness, actually taking ironing in?? I commend you – you must be good at it. Folding and putting away laundry is part of the whole nightmare and I fail at all counts. Oh well…

26. Autherine says

Good tips, especially taking it immediately out of the dryer and folding it right away. Btw, I try never to iron kids clothing.

27. Samantha says

@Autherine
    Hi Autherine,
    Thanks for the kind words. And I'm with you on NOT ironing kids' clothing. I figure “what's the point??”
    Thanks for commenting :)

28. Kiki says

ciao dall'Italia! A me piace stirare, un pò meno d'estate per colpa del caldo.Però è bellissimo indossare capi profumati e stirati..perciò oggi mi toccherà prendere in mano il ferro da stiro se voglio avere qualcosa da indossare nel fine settimana! Da ora ti seguo! Hai voglia di venire a trovarmi? Sei la benvenuta!

29. Samantha says

Ciao Kiki!
    Grazie per i vostri commenti e per visitare il mio blog. In attesa di vostri commenti e futuro:)

30. Hannah says

Yes…I consider it a victory to have everyone wearing clean clothes. Wrinkles are the least of my worries!

31. Samantha says

@HannahYou said it, Sister! Wrinkles are low on the priority list! 😉

32. Chantal Onelien says

I love this article and what it represents (especially when it comes to keeping up with appearances). I reminds me of the world I left behind “back in corporate world days” as a new mom and the world that I embrace today. I would invest so much time ironing my clothes and my daughter’s clothes on a daily basis. I just woke up one morning and decided to stop. I pull out clothes from the dryer and hang them up now. My life has changed for the better. Due to sensitive skin in this household we gravitate towards 100 cotton (60 % of the times) but we hang everything up neatly now and it saved us 45 mins to 1hour’s worth our of lives. In some cases, we must pull out the steamer or the iron but it is no longer a daily routine. Liberating indeed! Thank you for all of your articles! Love them!
    – Chantal
    @conelien8181

1. Samantha says

Chantal – so glad to hear that you’ve given up with the drudgery of ironing! I made the same decision some time back and I’ve never regretted it! I don’t purchase clothes that require major ironing and haven’t sparked up the iron in ages! I do have a steamer that I use every so often but for the most part, it’s wash and wear. The world will have to accept me and my family as we are – wrinkles and all!