Top 5 Reasons Why a Good Night’s Sleep Is Greatly Overrated (!)

As the mother of toddler twin boys who regularly wake up one, two and sometimes three times during the night, I have had the opportunity to contemplate the topic of “a good night’s sleep.” After much consideration (usually between the hours of 1 and 6am, and accompanied by one or two two-foot-tall individuals who may or may not be crying, shouting or pooping), I have concluded that eight hours of uninterrupted sleep is grossly overrated.

Image courtesy of www.coloringcommunity.com

Accordingly, I have compiled a list for nay-sayers who surprisingly seem to feel that sleeping is, well, important.

Top 5 Reasons Why a Good Night’s Sleep is Greatly Overrated

1. Dreams: Because being chased by a tutu-wearing elephant can really put a damper on your morning.
  2. Memory: Not having to remember stuff lets you off the hook big time. Functioning on three or four hours of sleep allows you to conveniently “forget” that playdate or sleepover. Thankfully.
  3. Morning breath: Waking up with breath that will wilt flowers on contact is no fun for you and anyone around you.
  4. Lucidity: It’s kinda fun walking around in a fog. Kind of like being in a Fellini film…
  5. Health: Lack of sleep is unhealthy and being unhealthy is cool. Don’t believe me? Check out the ratings for The Biggest Loser.

Who am I kidding? I will take my tongue out of my cheek now and try to get some sleep.

In all seriousness, what tips can you share for achieving a good night’s sleep in spite of restless children? I look forward to your tips and strategies!

(Visited 194,296 times,

You might also like

Your email address will not be published.

13 Comments

1. Melanie says

Turn off TV, iPhones etc at least 1 hour before bed. That makes a HUGE difference! Good luck!

2. Cathy says

You are asking the wrong person for good sleep advice. I am a chronic insomniac. The kids don't keep me awake but my mind does. I think that's worse. I blame it on years of broken sleep and the anxiety I experienced in the evening hours anticipating the multiple wake-ups through the night. Good exercise, no caffeine (including that dish of chocolate ice cream), don't drink (alcohol or anything really) too much because it'll make you have to pee… I follow all that but it's the quieting of the mind that I have difficulty with.

3. Holly Ann says

I wonder if my recent post helped inspire this? You are too funny! I really should have put it more like you did! Laughter really is the best medicine!!

4. RoryBore says

Gotta love a post with a Fellini reference! As for the getting more “zzzzz's”, sorry not much help there. With 3 children under 6 – someone is always awake at some point in the night; if not all 3 at various points. The 19 mos. old is a very restless sleeper – like wakes up every hour kind of restless. Sometimes she settles herself, sometimes I have to go in. I give her the stuffed bear, she hugs and kisses it, and goes back to sleep.
    I used to go to bed early, but with her constantly stirring and waking….being woke up every hour is worse than only getting 5 hours of straight sleep.
    Sometimes it scares me, knowing how little sleep us mothers get, and that we are all driving around in our huge mini-vans, rushing to play dates and doing errands, with giant coffee's to go. How do we ever get there in one piece? LOL

5. Samantha says

@Cathy Hi Cathy, I have the same issues. For years with my older daughter, I didn't sleep as well and now I'm back to not sleeping. When I do finally fall asleep, I'm such a light sleeper that the slightest thing will wake me – which is very frustrating. I'm hoping that in time this will pass…though the odds aren't looking very good, unfortunately.

6. Amanda says

This is great! My twin boys have just turned 2 and just learnt how to climb out their cots, no more sleep for me, I shall miss it greatly!

7. Samantha says

@RoryBore
    It is really scary, thinking that we are walking around, seemingly functioning, all the while, in our own personal Fellini film…

Yes, I agree that being woken up constantly is worse than sleeping for a few hours. It's that extra dig that seems to get you when you feel that youve finally gotten to that REM stage just to get jolted into the reality of a 3am wake-up, screaming, poo and all.

Good times to be had by all! Good thing it doesn't last forever!

Thanks for commenting 🙂

8. Samantha says

@Amanda
    Amanda – yikes! Climbing out of the bed is a whole different ball of wax, isn't it? Yea, once this happens you are into a new world order. Can we say “baby gates at the door” anyone??

9. Shawnnita's Inner Alfalfa says

Sorry Samantha, I'm not too good in this department either as I am getting too much sleep at the moment (9+ hours) and it makes me feel like rubbish!

I think 6 hours is about right! 🙂

Hope you get some much needed rest!

10. Samantha says

@Shawnnita's Inner Alfalfa Shawnnita – What a lovely problem to have! I'd much rather have the option of having too much sleep and cutting back than having too little and walking around grumpy, and in a fog. I.am.jealous.

11. Melissa Sharon says

Send the kiddos to someone else's house for the night!!! 🙂

12. Samantha says

@Melissa Sharon LOVE IT!! If I could, I would because sleep is such a priceless commodity these days! Thanks for commenting!