Camping and Kids – Getting Back to Nature With the Family

by Samantha on June 10, 2011

Yes, it is completely possible to pull little Johnny away from the XBox or Playstation this summer.
Though he may be a tried and true City Slicker who is used to all of the amenities of life in the Urban Jungle, there are ways to get him to appreciate the beauty of nature, burrs and all.

Image courtesy of www.bonjourquebec.com

This summer, introduce your kids to the wonders of the Great Outdoors by carrying on that good old North American tradition of camping. The summer’s here and now’s the time to instill the love of nature into your city kids who may have never had the pleasure of sleeping under the stars.

By following a few simple tips during your hiatus under the stars, you will make memories for you and your kids that will last a lifetime.

In 10 Tips for Camping With Your City Slicker Kids over at one of my favorite sites, Chic Savvy Travels, I’ve provided a checklist for parents like me who love the city but are willing to venture into The Wild (okay, maybe not The Wild per se, but a local campground or provincial/state park).

To get you in the mood, here’s some Yogi Bear for ya!

Melanie June 11, 2011 at 1:33 am

Great tips!

Samantha June 11, 2011 at 1:36 am

Thanks, Mel!!

Holly Ann June 11, 2011 at 3:25 am

Ok, I have to be honest here – I don't do camping. I like nice hot showers on a daily basis. I can't sleep anywhere except in a bed (seriously, I once took a Xanax, which would have knocked me out for 10 hours solid at home, to try to sleep on a plane and still couldn't). I sunburn far too easily. And I'm allergic to mosquito bites. Soo…camping will be a Daddy thing if the kids ever want to go. And if they do, I will certainly point them here! ;)

Samantha June 11, 2011 at 3:29 am

@Holly Ann Hi Holly, that is so funny! I'm laughing because I was never a big camper either but my husband loves it so for the sake of the kids, I will likely be making another trip this summer to pitch the tent in the great outdoors! Like you, I like daily showers and not just for me – baths for my kids as well – so my only caveat is that the campground has to be at least semi-modern with a shower building so that I can get us clean. Yea, it can be a bit rough in the tent sometimes but I have to admit that kids love it and it is kind of fun. Thanks for commenting!

MommyD June 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I was thinking of taking my two-year old camping this summer. But I thought she may be too young. Thanks for the checklist!

Samantha June 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm

@MommyD You're very welcome, MommyD! Have a great time :)

Keva June 19, 2011 at 2:39 am

I have never been a outdoor person, not even for amusement parks, Im just pitful..lol and I know that If I hit a camp ground it wouldnt be pretty. However reading this has made me take a second thought at camping, or at least giving it a try.

Samantha June 19, 2011 at 2:45 am

@Keva
Hi Keva,
Baby steps…I was like you – not that outdoorsy, but decided to give it the old college try and check it out. It is actually quite relaxing and there is something to be said for getting back to nature. Best of luck on your camping adventure and let me know how it goes!