The Top 5 Father’s Day Gifts – What Dad REALLY Wants

by Samantha on June 9, 2011

So back around Mother’s Day, I published the The Top 5 Gifts – What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day. In the spirit of equality as well as peace, it’s probably fair that I write about dear old Dad.

No, he probably doesn’t want socks or a tie, and very likely could do without yet another golf shirt. He also probably doesn’t want burnt toast in bed or undercooked eggs, but will (hopefully) graciously accept these token gifts of love from his progeny.

No, dad has a whole other set of desired gifts that he wants. Following are some ideas to get that special dad a gift that he will truly thank you for.

Image courtesy of www.tfaoi.com

Top 5 Father’s Day Gifts
1) Time Off - Moms don’t have the market cornered on this coveted present, and it’s likely that Dad would love some uninterrupted time to do whatever he pleases – without the kids or wife (sorry, moms). While he probably loves you all to pieces, he longs for those days where he could do his own thing, whether it’s spending time with friends, watching the game or reading a book. Give him this gift on June 19th and he’ll thank you for it, guaranteed.

2) A Tech Toy – Be creative and choose your poison. Whether it’s an iPad, a new XBox game or the latest smartphone, there are lots of options these days. Some type of electronic, cool, gadgety thing that Dad can play around with for hours will earn you brownie points in his books. It’s fairly safe to say that most men will appreciate something within the technology realm so if you can hook Dad up with this type of gift, he’ll be a happy camper.

3) Cigars and Scotch – Yea, these particular gift suggestions are stereotypically “male” in nature but the fact of the matter is that many men appreciate a really good cigar and rarely do they get the chance to enjoy one. Splurge on dad this Father’s Day and spend a bit of dough on a premium grade cigar, if you can. Ditto for the Scotch; it doesn’t necessarily have to be Scotch per se, any nice liquor will do. Just think of what your man used to order before you guys had kids and were mired in diapers and doo-doo.

4) A Professional Shave – This may sound like a bizarre gift but bear with me here. It’s likely that Dad has rarely if ever gotten a shave from a barber or similar professional. Apparently it’s quite the experience and so much better than the shaves that are done at home. If you can arrange it, set Dad up for a date at the barber or salon and get prepared to see a new man when he returns.

5) Anything From an Outdoor or Sports Store
– Again, even if Dad is not the outdoorsy or sporty type, there are plenty of items that most men will appreciate in these kinds of stores. And let’s not even mention the fact that they can spend hours walking around in the store, just browsing, uninterrupted (see suggestion #1). If you have a good idea of what Dad would like from this type of store, then take the plunge and buy it for him; if not, he’ll likely be very happy with a gift certificate that will allow him to choose the item that he really wants.

Do you have any great gift suggestions for Father’s Day? Please share!

——

Want more parenting advice and tips? Click on the image below to get your copy of my eBook today!

Like this post? Subscribe to the MMM newsletter get the latest parenting tips, advice and insight delivered right to your Inbox!

Grumpy Grateful Mom June 9, 2011 at 2:26 am

Thanks for the list!

My husband already bought himself a gift so I'm off the hook a little. I'm thinking the kids and I will all write letters and go easy on him that day, like you suggested.

Maybe I'll even get crazy and cook a nice dinner. :)

Samantha June 9, 2011 at 2:34 am

@Grumpy Grateful Mom Your husband bought himself a gift already? He's a man on a mission, for sure! What did he buy himself?

I like the idea of letters. They can be kept forever and have so much more meaning, especially as the kids get older.

Holly Ann June 9, 2011 at 3:41 am

Numbers 1 and 2 are exactly what my husband wants!! He's a programmer with a love for gaming and an even greater love for sleeping. lol

Thanks for sharing this fantastic list!

Samantha June 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

@Holly Ann Hi Holly, glad you liked the list! I figured most men would be thrilled with the combination of gadgets and rest :)

RoryBore June 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

My step dad and I used to go fishing when I was younger. He would get the boat and tackle all prepared, a couple of Timmy's coffees and some beef jerky (seriously). And I would bring the scotch and cigars. seriously. LOL. Hey, it's cold on the water at 5 am here in Canada, and the cigar smoke keeps the bugs away. And that's a story almost as big as the one that got away!
Not sure mom is as pleased with my gift choices. Perhaps I'll just take him to the casino this year :)

Samantha June 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

@RoryBore
Leslie – great story! It evokes quite the visuals in my mind :) Hey – I'm a Canuck as well and I do know how cold it can get…though can't say I've ever been out on the water at 5am. That said, the cigars would certainly do the trick!

Melanie June 11, 2011 at 1:32 am

I agree that anything to do with golf or fishing is a safe bet!

Samantha June 11, 2011 at 1:36 am

@Melanie And even if they don't golf or fish, they'll like going into the stores that cater to these activities regardless!

somemother.com June 15, 2011 at 2:38 am

I think you overlooked a NAP. My husband doesn't remember what this is!! Poor guy. And you also forgot, um, well, you know, some action. He also doesn't remember what this is. Btw, can't guarantee he'll get either.

Samantha June 15, 2011 at 2:41 am

@somemother.comHahaha!!! Of course he needs a nap – what parent doesn't?! Especially with kids – ay-ya, sleep is a priceless commodity these days, isn't it??

Now about the “action”…my blog is PG rated so I will refrain from commenting…though your response to this has made me chuckle ;)

Cheers

Camden June 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hmmm…I never thought about the Professional Shave. I guess that would be Dad's equivalent of a manicure/pedicure?

Great list!

Samantha June 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm

@Camden Hi Camden,
Yea, apparently it's quite the experience for men. Who knew?? I guess they have their own equivalent of “a day at the spa.”
Thanks for your comment :)

Geordon July 3, 2011 at 1:04 am

I know that I'm late to this conversation, but I just had to comment. One of the best things that I have ever gotten for Father's Day was a gift certificate to The Art of Shaving (national chain in the US) at a regional mall. I used it to get two things. First, a new dingle-blade double edge adjustable safety razor (Merkur Progress). With some practice, I get much more comfortable and better shaves with it than I ever did with my MAch 3 or Gilette Sensor. The second thing that I got with my gift certificate was a “Royal shave” from the in-house barber. Oh. My. Goodness! I have NEVER had such a luxurious experience in my life. After experiencing a “real” traditional hot-towel barber shave, anything else is a pale comparisson.

As Camden suggested above, this was definitely a “Man Spa” experience. It's one that I look forward to repeating!

Samantha July 3, 2011 at 7:22 pm

@Geordon Hi Geordon,
I've heard that the shaves that men get at “man spas” are out of this world and make home shaving less enjoyable than it already is. Sounds like you've seen both sides of the fence and will continue with the luxurious experience of letting someone else do the deed. Also sounds like more men should try this option as they would likely enjoy it. We'll have to pass on the word ;)