The Top 10 Kids’ Comfort Foods

I’ve written about this time and time and time again: kids and food. More specifically, kids and their penchant for not eating the food that’s placed before them. You know how it goes, right? you make a healthy, wholesome and time-consuming meal with the hopes that your finicky brethren will finally eat what’s put before them. They quickly and effortlessly break your bubble by refusing their breakfast/lunch/dinner and you spend the rest of the day worrying about their health, well-being and more annoyingly, what you will be making for the next meal.

If you find yourself in these situations often, look no further. There’s something to be said about the “tried and true,” and “comfort food” is no different.

You know what I’m talking about, right moms and dads? The food that at once puts a smile on your face and a Pavlovian response in your mouth. Food that even the most discerning, finicky and downright obstinate child can’t resist.

Image courtesy of www.easymacandcheese.com

When push comes to shove on a particular evening (or morning or mid-day), give in, resort to the following list, and breathe a sigh of relief that your child is at least eating something. I often just fall back on this list and call it a day, for my own sanity. You may want to do the same as well.

The Top 10 Kids Comfort Foods (WARNING: Large amounts of butter and cheese may be present)

**Note – the meat dishes can be replaced with vegetarian versions as well, e.g. veggie burgers, veggie dogs, etc.

1) Macaroni and Cheese
2) Grilled cheese sandwiches
3) Pizza
4) Chicken Fingers or Nuggets
5) Hamburgers
6) Hot Dogs
7) Chicken Noodle Soup
8) Scrambled Eggs
9) Pancakes
10) Peanut butter and jam sandwiches

These items can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Believe me – I’ve served them whenever I’ve had to, just to get the little ones to eat. Pancakes for dinner? Sure. Mac and cheese for breakfast? Why not? Do what you need to do.

What are the “tried and true” comfort foods that work in with your kids? What would you add to this list?

(Visited 131,083 times,

You might also like

Your email address will not be published.

10 Comments

1. Amanda Armstrong says

My kids love breakfast bars – it is an "only once in a while" treat, but along with a banana they are fueled up and ready to go.

2. Jennifer Pereyra says

You can't forget pasta! Usually kids fall into one of two categories here. They either like noodles with butter or noodles with red sauce. Either way, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and you're ready to go!

3. Samantha says

@Amanda ArmstrongAmanda – I've never tried giving them a breakfast bar but will now! Thanks for the tip 🙂

4. Samantha says

@Jennifer PereyraAbsolutely, Jen! Yes – my kids love pasta with noodles and butter as well. It's a good standby, for sure! Thanks for commenting 🙂

5. championm2000 says

Closely related to mac and cheese–cheese tortellini! Always a winner here.

6. Samantha says

@championm2000Yea, that's a good one! As well as plain pasta with butter!

7. Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) says

Mac and cheese is always great. If you add cauliflower puree you can make it healthier.

8. Samantha says

@Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) Susan, I've never tried the cauliflower puree but it sounds like a great way to get extra vitamins and stuff into the kids. Will definitely have to try it! Stay tuned 🙂
    Thanks for your comment.

9. House of Bedlam says

All good options but we need to give our kids more credit. If you keep trying they will learn to like other foods as well. Not just the ubiquitous chicken nuggets! Why not add fruit and veggies to this list? Not that I am don’t break out the mac and cheese once in awhile but not for breakfast – if it means I need more wine at the end of the day so be it 🙂

1. Samantha says

You’re absolutely right! Comfort foods don’t always have to be the old starchy and deep-fried standards, do they? I think your point about getting the kids used to different foods and flavours early is key to them accepting a range of foods. Thanks for your input and suggestion 🙂