Getting your kids’ rooms organized is a work in progress for most parents. It’s a constant struggle to keep things in place and orderly as kids have a way of undoing what you’ve just done.
It’s a work in progress in my home, but like many of you, I’m learning. Baby steps, as they say, towards the final goal
Image courtesy of http://storageforkids.net
Whether you’re challenged by space constraints as I am, or have an expansive children’s room in which your little darling can leave things lying around to her heart’s content, there are some tried and true ways of making the best of what you’ve got and keeping the room in an orderly fashion.
Here are the Top 5 Tips For Organizing Your Child’s Room:
1) Group Effort - Try to arrange items in groups – clothing, hamper, shoes and accessories should be in the same general area. This will make it easier for your child to find each item, as well as put them away when needed.
2) Bins, Baskets and Boxes - Use various sized containers to store your child’s items. From clothing items to books to toys and more, having a place to store everything will result in a higher likelihood of things being put back where they belong. Also consider clear containers for easy access, with external labels, making storage a no-brainer.
3) Highs & Lows - Use all available space in your child’s room. This is especially the case if the room is smaller than you would like. Tiered shelving, a hanging closet rod and the backs of doors (closet and room) are places that are not immediately considered for storage, but make great alternatives if space is at a premium.
4) Under Cover - Keeping with point #3, under bed storage is a perfect solution for rooms that require some extra space for children’s toys, clothes or otherwise. Store it and stash it away, out of sight and off the floor.
5) Hooks & Hampers - When you’ve run out of closet floor and shelving space, turn to a little-used alternative: hooks. These days, it’s easy to get stick-on wall hooks that are sturdy and won’t ruin your paint job or worse. Put a few on the wall in strategic places and hang items that would otherwise end up on the floor. Similarly, make it simple for your child to put away his or her clothes by providing a laundry hamper that can easily take the day’s soiled items.
How do you organize your kids’ rooms? What tips do you have for keeping this area tidy?