PTAN Podcast Episode 9: Free-Range Parenting in an Age of Fear
Free-Range Parenting in an Age of Fear
She was crowned the unwanted title of “World’s Worst Mom” when she decided to let her nine-year-old son ride the New York subway alone back in 2008. And while Lenore Skenazy was surprised by the reaction to what she felt was an important step towards independence for her son, she didn’t let the backlash stop her.
Seizing the opportunity to discuss her disdain for society’s increasingly protective stance as parents, Lenore founded Free Range Kids, a site that showcases the extreme lengths that we’ve gone to through “helicopter parenting.” A fierce advocate of free range parenting and unstructured play, Lenore is a frequent speaker on the subject in an effort to help all of us shed our fears of letting our kids be kids. In 2017, she co-founded the Let Grow project as the latest step in her quest to help parents and educators pull back the reins on helicopter parenting.
- 5 stars!October 1, 2017 by laurabakes from Canada
Such a wonderful and engaging podcast with great parents insights!
- Love this podcast!! Engaging and nostalgic!September 25, 2017 by Ghghggxdgbnkf from Canada
Brings me back to the good ol days of my childhood!
- Insightful and engaging!September 14, 2017 by bweikle from Canada
This podcast offers such great perspective on parenting by framing how we raise kids today compared to how kids were raised just a short time ago. Samantha is a very engaging host and her show offers a unique and insightful perspective on family life!
- Informative and nostalgic!September 13, 2017 by GillJax from Canada
Good parenting interviews and quick hits of nostalgia from my childhood -- love it!
- Interesting and engagingSeptember 6, 2017 by mikey cadoch from Canada
Before I knew it I was 40 minutes in! Love it.
- Extremely witty and insightfulSeptember 6, 2017 by tassjacadoch from Canada
A must-listen for any parent! My new fave