Monday Musings - Parents Oversharing on Social Media

by Samantha on November 26, 2012

Welcome to today’s edition of Monday Musings here at Multiple Mayhem Mamma.

Today’s topic at hand is social media and parenting. Do the two really mix well? More than a few of us have posted pictures and videos online of our precious kids, with little thought of what these same children may later feel about our decisions to do so. In this age of technology, digital communication and virtual sharing, it seems like the natural course of events to provide the latest videos and images of our kids via Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook. Yet we are increasingly hearing of instances where parents have “overshared” and the fate of their kids’ future reputation has been questioned. Parents and oversharing has become the norm for many. To wit - there’s even a site  (STFU Parents) that mocks and derides mothers and fathers who have been deemed to have given up too much information about their children. I’ve written about this before and continue to be fascinated by the new world order in which we live. It’s an uncharted territory of which none of us can predict the outcome.

I, for one, have uploaded pictures of my kids to various social media channels. Have I given it a lot of thought? Some, but I can’t say that I’ve got all the answers. Who knows how they will feel when they’re older? Granted, they will have grown up in a world where it’s commonplace to have images and videos of ones self online, but is this really a good thing? The jury seems to be out on this one, myself included.

So what about you? Have you shared pictures and/or video of your kids online, and if so, what was the response from friends and family? Have you ever been accused of oversharing, or posting inappropriate imagery of your kids? What do you think is going to happen when our kids grow up and find an extensive digital footprint of their earlier lives online for all to see?

This is a topic that’s not going away and we’re all going to have to deal with the consequences of our actions. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this ongoing topic. Please answer in the comments below, or better yet - post a video response!

Sam

VIDEO: Social Media Sharing, Parents and Kids

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe below to get free email updates!

Powered by Subscribers Magnet

Carrie November 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I probably have overshared, and the funny thing is that parents who are in the thick of things don’t seem to realize they are doing it. I look back at all the baby photos I posted, and realize that really the only people who were really interested were immediate family and very close friends. As I watch new parents oversharing now, I am always oh-so-tempted to defriend….

Samantha November 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Carrie, we’re all guilty! I think it’s our own personal sense of importance (myself included!) that we believe that others will care about our kids and our lives as much as we do! Of course family and friends want to see pictures, but even they have their limits to how much we can show them. Because it’s so easy to share online, we do it with little thought about what’s to come later on. I’m sure my kids will have something to say to me about postings, though I’ve tried not to put anything online that they’d find remotely embarrassing. That, of course, is subject to interpretation :)

Glenda T Bona November 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Guilty - but my baby grandson is so cute! Who knows what he will think when he gets old enough to care. And to imagine that my postings might be an invitation to someone with bad intentions is frightening!

Another confession - recently looked at my Friends list and wonder who some of them are! You got me Samantha … time to be more thoughtful with social media.

Samantha November 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm

We all have become so caught up in social media sharing that we often forget that what we choose to share is there forever. In the case of our kids, most of us have been guilty of the “crime” of oversharing because a) it’s so easy to do so and b) our kids are so darned cute! Hopefully we can hope that our better judgement has prevailed in terms of the decisions that we’ve made regarding what we’ve virtually shared with friends and those who are “friends” via Facebook only. Thanks for your comment, Glenda :)

Christy December 31, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I have heard of people stealing baby photos from Facebook, its is not only creepy but those pictures could be used to negatively impact your child. The best thing that you can do is add a watermark to your photos that make it harder for people to steal your photos. I know I am guilty of posting photos to Facebook and to my blog. I do make a point of posting positive stories or articles around my children. I do it so that I can help others.
Christy recently posted..The Bradley Method Helps Women Realize That Their Body Was Designed For BirthingMy Profile

Samantha December 31, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Hi Christy,

That’s a great idea about watermarking. Not something that I or many people would think about but definitely something that would help with the theft of our kids’ pictures. I’ve posted pictures of my kids as well - none with watermarks but also none where they would regret or feel embarrassed later on in life. It’s a different world that we live in now so it’s very likely that having one’s pictures online will be the norm for most kids in the future. Thanks for commenting.