The 5 Reasons Why I’m A Good Mom

by Samantha on August 3, 2012

According to a new study, “helicopter parenting” leads to depression. In other words, if you are so involved with your child that their every move is being monitored, you’re likely to put yourself in a funk. Ironically, these findings seem to indicate that the harder you try to be the best parent that you can be, the more you fail - both yourself and your child. You just can’t win. If you don’t “hover” over your child and just let them be, guess what? You’ll be called a Neglectful Parent.

Frankly, I find studies like these both tiresome and infuriating. What’s a parent to do? If you try too hard, you’ll be called a “helicopter parent” and may be prone to depression; if you don’t try hard enough, you’re going to be reported to the authorities for your inaction.

Let’s stop beating ourselves up for not being perfect parents. Personally, I’m tired of all of the studies, articles and “experts” that keep telling me why I’m failing to live up to expectations about parenting. The nuts and bolts of motherhood and fatherhood are hard enough without naysayers breathing down your neck and telling you why you’ve failed. Ignore them. Be your own cheering team and remember that those who beat you down are just jealous ;) Seriously, is there anyone out there who really has it down to a fine science? Perfect kids? They don’t exist. Perfect parents are even more rare. Go with the flow, follow your instincts and your kids will turn out just fine.

To put things in perspective, read on. Here are some of the reasons that I’m a great parent. My kids agree ;)

5 Reasons Why I’m a Good Mom

1)   I am building up my children’s immunities by allowing them to follow the 5 second rule when things fall on the floor. Enough said.

2)   I expose my kids to a variety of cultures on a regular basis: Chinese – chicken balls, Italian – pizza (sometimes frozen), Mexican – tacos….Often these foods are takeout, but that doesn’t matter, right?

3)   I am teaching my children about relationshipsWatching Survivor and other reality TV shows provides them with the nuts and bolts of interpersonal relationships and struggles. There are no better examples of man’s inhumanity to man, especially at tribal council.

4)   I don’t clean daily. Why bother? It’s going to be messed up as soon as I’m done and anyway,  I want to spend quality time with my kids.

5)   6. I make a mean homemade macaroni and cheese. From scratch. Not from a box. And often. That keeps the rugrats happy.

Those reasons are good enough for me. How about you? What makes you a great parent? Tell me about it in the comment section below.

VIDEO: The Five Reasons Why I’m A Good Mom

avatar Cheryl Leahy August 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Oh Sam, you crack me up! I get very exhausted by others who boast about their completely organic meals, immaculate home where you could eat off the floors (but *gasp* who would dare?!), and 100% educational viewing programs if they dare allow their kids to watch TV. I’ll tell you this- my kid ate toilet paper yesterday, located some cheerios under the dining room table and ate those too, and found some comfort in Elmo on TV when nothing else would stop the tears.. We are both happy and healthy and THAT is what life is all about! Loved this post!

Samantha August 4, 2012 at 2:30 am

Thanks, Cheryl!
Yes, it is particularly irritating to deal with those who feel “perfect” and even worse, try to make the rest of us feel guilty that we’re not! There’s no such thing as perfect parenting, and if your kids are fed, clothed, clean and loved, that’s all that matters, isn’t it?
Thanks for your kind words :)

avatar ElectraDaddy August 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm

1. I used to own several Dairy Queens so I’m always willing to try out Dairy Queens when we’re on vacation. This makes my kids think I’m the best since they’re guaranteed at least one Arctic Rush Freeze (like a slurpee with ice cream).

2. I put a TV in the RV so the twins can watch videos as we cruise down the freeway to our vacation destination.

3. I can sing Allan Sherman’s song, “Sarah Jackman”, from memory. It uses the melody to “Are You Sleeping?” & that combined with the funny rhymes seems to tickle my kids to pieces.

Samantha August 5, 2012 at 1:34 am

Wow - You’ve really got a few tricks up your sleeve, ElectraDaddy! Whatever gets you through the night as they say. When it comes to kids, a parent’s gotta do what a parent’s gotta do. If it works, it’s worth it :)

avatar Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) August 23, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hmmm… let me think. Ok, here goes:

1. I make pancakes for supper when my husband is out of town. And often add chocolate chips.
2. I crazily bounce around and sing loudly to “Y.M.C.A.” and “I Like to Move it” because it makes my kids giggle (it may look ridiculous, but whatever…)
3. I’m with ya on the 5 second rule - someone once told me we should get a dog to clean up all the food that falls on the floor, but my kids kind of take care of that already…
4. my 6-year-old recently told me he wants to marry me. So that’s a good sign that he likes me.
5. My 22-month-old flies at me with a huge hug whenever he sees me. (His hard skull ends up being “ill-placed,” but I appreciate the affection anyway).

Great post!!

Samantha August 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Christine, sounds like we’re in the same camp and have both attended the same school to learn how to really be a great mom! Love your Top 5 and I applaud anyone who can make chocolate chip pancakes into a legitimate food group! Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your tips as well :) Cheers